Sunday, April 15, 2012

Planting Grafted Trees

Sunday, April 15 - Today, being my last day of a week vacation, I spent my morning and afternoon doing yard work. Early in the morning my wife and I went to Exley's Landscaping to pick out two trees to plant in our raised flower garden.

We chose two grafted trees; a Weeping Redbud and a Hydrangea Tree. The weeping redbud is a beautiful tree. It has small pink flowers and blooms in the early weeks of spring. In fact, it is now at the end of its blooming cycle.

The Hydrangea Tree, will produce white flowers very similar to a hyacinth. Right now it is beginning to form small green buds which will bloom during the early to mid August period. This will be a welcome addition to our garden as it should bloom during the same time as our 2 crepe myrtles trees.

The anticipated rain did not arrive as expected. We did have a small amount last evening and again this morning but watering was a big part of my day making sure the flower beds and vegetable garden were wetted down to survive the high temperatures we had today.

Overall, I had a great week off. I was able to get much yard work done as well as spend time with family and also go on two day trips.

I am not looking forward to the warm temperatures we are supposed to have this week. Temperatures will be hovering in the high 70's with some days hitting highs in the mid 80's.




No comments:

Post a Comment