Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Benefits of Compost

Wednesday, March 28 - This week we are having typical South Jersey weather, one day it is cool and breezy and the next the day it is close to 70 degrees and sunny. It is always a gamble to know when to begin planting and what to do those plants which have begun to bud when a cold evening or possible a frost warning is predicted.

To play it safe it is beneficial to do planting in South Jersey Mothers Day weekend. At this time you are guaranteed there will be no more spring frost and most importantly, the soil will begin to warm which helps with seed germination.

The last two years I have planted a week early. This has given me an early start to planting and also provides me with one of my favorite vegetables, tomatoes, before mid - July. I am hoping this will be the case this year.

Until then, it is a waiting game, I check my garden daily making sure the peas are beginning to climb on the make shift string and stakes. I also remove any weeds which begin to grow.

Today, I smiled looking around my garden. With the recent rain we had this week, I could see small watermelon or cantaloupe plants begin to pop thru the soil. This is from the seeds placed in my compost last summer. I always anticipate this time of year as well as mid summer when I begin to see "those surprised" plants which begin to pop thru the soil.


No comments:

Post a Comment