Thursday, March 22, 2012

Making a Rain Barrel

Thursday, March 22 - Waking up again to another unseasonably warm day, 60 degrees at 4:30am,  I began to think how great the warmth and fresh air has felt but also what impact this will have on our growing season this year. People are already talking about the threat of more insects and diseases which will effect our flowers and vegetables since we had a very mild winter. I am hoping this weekend to find some time to research organic methods to deal with any insect or disease problems which I may encounter. Please feel free to share if you have any methods to deal with this issue.

Also, it is time to think about making a rain barrel. Using natural means to feed my flowers and vegetables is a "win all" solution to gardening. The "magic" found in rain water helps feed crops much better than using other ways of watering.

I decided to go to Craigs List to see if I could find materials for this project. Luckily I found a local pizza parlor that was selling containers reasonably.

To help make my rain barrel I decided to search YouTube . Again, I found a great 5 minute video not only showing me the benefits and how to make my barrel, but also the supplies I could buy at Lowe's to finish this project.

Consider making a rain barrel when you have a spare moment. The benefits your gardens and our environment will receive are unmeasurable.

Happy Gardening !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment