Friday, March 16, 2012

Time for Compost !!!!

Sunday, March 11 It is now time to place the compost in the garden. This is a year long project, preparing this pile for use this time of year.

Through much reading and conversations with friends, I have been able to create a mixture whereby I have reaped tremendous benefits.

Having close to 2 acres of ground, I an fortunate to have enough leaves, grass clippings, pine needles and small branches to add from time to time. Also, I compost all vegetable remains, egg shells, coffee grinds, clothing lint, orange, grapefruit and banana peels, sawdust, horse manure and shredded newspaper. I have found cutting all these items into smaller pieces helps the process of breaking down this pile much easier and faster.

Throughout the year, I turn the pile over at least one time and if I have the extra time, sometimes 2 - 3 times a week. It is amazing the amount of heat which is generated from this pile and also exciting to watch the items break down and begin to form the "black gold" substance which helps fuel and feed the soil.

I was able this year to make enough compost to cover the entire garden! I have decided this year, I am not going to till the compost into the soil, rather let the rain and time work this mixture into the soil.

It is always a good feeling to reap the benefits of this process. From time to time I do add water to the mixture when it becomes too dry during those hot and humid summer days.


No comments:

Post a Comment